Words to live by

“The rulers, the flourishing, the superlativists: They’re the freaks. It is the also-rans, the unmedaled ice-skaters, the bankrupt philatelists, the embittered inventors, the self-hating civil servants, those with talent and education and determination who potter along: these are the ones who should be made into examples, so that people can see their lives aren’t benighted but standard.” – from “The Collector Collector” by Tibor Fischer

“The future is unwritten.” – Joe Strummer

“Pretend to be good always, and even God will be fooled.” – Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

“No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“Distrust all those in whom the urge to punish is strong.” – attributed to Goethe and Nietzsche, among others

“Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long.” – Walker Evans

“We must recognize that there are multiple forms of suicide. You can release your claim to life by means of a rope, a gun, a tall building, or a bottle of pills. But you can also do it by more mundane means: by letting your life get stuck in a loop of repeated, shallow days, like a skipping record stuck on a boring track. In letting your future days become mere faded copies of your past days, you may not physiologically die, but you certainly cease to live. Some methods of suicide are just slower and less deliberate than others, but in that way perhaps they smack even more of cowardice.” – http://www.strange-loops.com

“I knew that I had a facility with words and a power of facing unpleasant facts, and I felt that this created a sort of private world in which I could get my own back for my failure in everyday life.” – George Orwell

“To function efficiently as a writer, 95% of your brain has to teleport off into nowhere, taking its neuroses with it, leaving the confident, playful 5% alone to operate the controls.” – Charlie Brooker

“I came to the conclusion long ago that all life is six to five against.” – Damon Runyon

“I’ve been blessed by the opportunity to let art pass through me on occasion. Whether songs, or essays, or interestingly designed haystacks, these manifestations of beauty, for which I take no more credit than the faucet should take for the water, have been wonderful gifts.” – John Perry Barlow

“Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” – Steve Jobs

“Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. … And one fine morning —- So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, “The Great Gatsby”

Advertisements

One response

4 04 2011
diane

Another good quote:
“Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”
Mark Twain

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: